A couple weeks ago, I was invited to be a Love Notions Ambassador…a sorta secret insider of sorts with a responsibility to test patterns, provide feedback and to promote Love Notions patterns! Of course, I was excited about being invited into such an elite group of sewists and this post is to chit chat all about the newest Love Notions release.
The Tempo sundress features a darted front bodice, and an optional elasticated or shirred centre back. As with many other Love Notions patterns, Tempo comes in two different bust sizes: the standard bust and the full bust, which vastly improves the bust fit on many without the need for an FBA. The size range? Temp ranges from XS to 5XL i.e. from a 33” bust up to a 57.5” bust. Hip hip hooorayyyyy for size inclusivity!
I opted for the size L standard bust which has a finished measurement of 40.5”. Even though I am typically a ‘C’ cup, the bodice fit me almost perfectly.I suppose the elasticated back had something to do with it – maybe, kinda, sorta?!! Anyways, I only had to shorten the bodice pieces by 1” and perform a ⅜” sway back adjustment. This is almost unheard of for me! Usually I have to tamper with the dart position, lowering and lengthening my bust darts in most cases, but on this pattern… NADA!!!
This dress will definitely be a summer staple. It has no closures and is a fairly quick and simple make. The elastic/shirred panel at the back, and the ease at the waist means that you can slip this dress over your head, and be out the door in a matter of seconds! I’m not usually one for loose fit dresses, because I like waist definition, but this dress has the perfect amount IMHO – loose enough to be comfortable, without feeling like I’m wearing a paper bag! Kuddos to Tami and Tessa!
In its original design, Tempo has fixed straps and the option for a single gathered above the knee skirt, or a two-tiered maxi skirt. As cute as I thought the pattern was, as designed, I wanted to put my own little spin on this baby… and so I HACKED IT!
Instead of the fixed straps, I cut 4 of the strap pieces (on fold), and made tie straps. For one, tie straps are very ‘in’ right now, and I have many tied-shoulder dresses saved to my Pinterest boards. For two, even though tie-straps are a little more difficult to tie for one’s self, my sloping shoulders prefer them!
As for the skirt, I wanted something shorter, and full of drama. You may have heard me say before that my legs are my best assets, and I use ANY opportunity I get to show them off. lol. I shortened the main skirt piece to have a finished length of 12”, because I wanted the first tier to end at about my high hip. For my second tier, I cut two pieces of fabric 44” x 6” (one for the front and one for the back. I gathered each piece separately, and attached to the first front and back tiers. Tier three consisted of 6 strips of fabric measuring 36” x 4”. Three of the strips were joined together, gathered, and attached to tier two at the front, and repeated for the back skirt. Once i had constructed all three tiers on the front skirt and back skirt, I sewed them up at the side seams.
Now, Tempo was designed to have inseam pockets and I am a pocket girl. Unfortunately, I just did not have enough fabric to cut more than 2 pockets, so I omitted them from this make *ugh
Obviously, all this gathering was time consuming, but I am so damn happy with the finished result. The volume that the skirt gives balances out my proportions quite well, I think.
Now that you got all the tea about the pattern, and my lil hack, lemme holla at you about the fabric for a minute. If you read my previous post, you already know that this week is #ankaraappreciationweek over on the ‘Gram. The explanation is in the hashtag – its a week showcasing and honoring all things Ankara (the fabric; not the city capital).
I made my Tempo using this fun Ankara print from afriqueclothingstore over on Etsy. The quality of this Ankara is incredible. It washed up well, remained vibrant, and is sooooo soft against my skin. Being 100%cotton, the fabric was easy to work with: cutting and sewing was a breeze and I did not have to deal with much fraying. As with many Ankara fabrics, the width of the fabric was only 44” wide so keep that in mind if you decide to make a Tempo using Ankara fabric.
I don’t always nail the pattern to the fabric (or vice versa), but I actually think this pairing is a match made in sewing heaven!
If you wanna get your hands on Tempo, click here, on my affiliate link!!!
As a Love Notions Ambassador, I do earn a small commission for purchases made using my affiliate link, but it costs you nothing extra… so spread the word and tell a sistah to tell a sistah!
Right, I think we’ve chatted enough this week. Two posts in one week… ya girl is definitely making up for my mini hiatus. Make sure to check out the Tempo tester makes by scrolling the hashtag on Instagram. Whilst you’re over there, be sure to tune in to the #sewanakara21 hashtag as well!!
Gotta luv ya and leave ya.
Until next time,